Time seems to be at full warp speed anymore. Days, week, months seem to last no longer than a blink of an eye with my memory being about the same. Last year I made a few resolutions that I would like to revisit while making a few more predictions for the year ahead, 2013.
My focus for 2012 was to increase and improve my home brewing while trying to stick to an American craft beer budget. I also wanted to hit up five new breweries. For once I hit all of my goals:
- I brewed 20 times. During the year I tried new tips and tricks to get better mash efficiency, get acquainted with Brett, better fermentation temperatures, etc. Myself and my friends get a win from better brewing.
- Outside of some nuttiness late in 2012, I spent $30 or less in eight of the months on American craft beer. The cellar is still large but there was a small dent placed in its’ side.
- Most of the breweries I visited in 2012 were on the Ohio trip. I got my five in, barely.
My 2013 resolutions aren’t going to be that much different but maybe a bit more precise.
- 20 brews is a nice round number. I don’t have to hit that many or I could go over throughout the course of the year. That isn’t the goal. I want to finish getting the last few pieces to my home brewery that will allow me to be a better and more self reliant home brewer.
- Grain mill
- 15 gallon brewing pot
- Freezer to control fermentation temperature and possibly my first lager
- Keep American craft beer expenditures to near or lower than 2012 levels. Use the saved money to help achieve number one.
- Visit five new breweries in my home state of Illinois. I have been to very few locally, time to expand the breadth of Illinois craft beer appreciation.
I hope everyone has a healthy 2013 aided along the path by a dose of American craft and/or home brew. Enjoy!
Useless Fact: In a very early draft of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones carried brass knuckles instead of a bullwhip.