Leaner saison has been a go home brew of mine for quite some time. Unfortunately I only blogged about in 2016, when I made a version of leaner saison with mosiac hops.
Blogging on version d of leaner saison is more of an exercise than it is to log the beer. Four iterations of the beer with minimal changes (yeast and hop), leave little to document.
Formulating the recipe for Leaner Saison (d)
The reason I decided to brew leaner saison: I had another satchel of Lallemand Belle Saison yeast that needed using before expiration. It had been sitting for at least four months, from the late summer, with thoughts that it would have been used rather quickly.
I could have decided on other saison recipe I have on hand or formulated a new one. I chose leaner saison as it’s versatility lends itself to small tweaks:
- rye, as I enjoy the profile in a beer.
- left over Azacca hops needed to be used.
- been wanting a home brewed saison since the summer.
Let’s hope the first beer of 2018 will be fantastic. Enjoy!
Recipe for with the Leaner Saison (d)
Brew Date: Saturday, January 06, 2018
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Lallemand Belle Saison, hydrated
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Finishing Gravity: N/A
Color: 4.8 SRM
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.41%
Alcohol by Volume: N/A
Calories per ounce: N/A
Primary Fermentation: 1/2 day @66*F, slow rise for 2 days to 78*F
10.00 pounds Pilsner
3.00 pounds Rye Malt
0.25 pounds Oats
1.00 ounces 2015 Azacca @20 minutes
1.00 ounces 2015 Azacca @10 minutes
2.00 ounces 2015 Azacca whirlpool, 20 minutes, started at flameout
1.0 tsp Irish Moss @15 minutes
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient @15 minutes
4.0 quarts of rice hulls
- 2018-01-06 @6:00pm: @65.6*F, little fermentation. Added heat at 68.0*F.
- 2018-01-07 @7:30am: @66.5*F. Moved heat up to 71.0*F.
- 2018-01-07 @1:00pm: @70.2*F. Moved heat up to 73.0*F.
- 2018-01-07 @6:00pm: @71.9*F. Moved heat up to 75.0*F.
- 2018-01-08 @6:30am: @73.4*F. Moved heat up to 78.0*F.
- 2018-01-08 @7:30pm: @77.8*F. Great fermentation.
- 2018-01-10 @7:15pm: turned off heat.
- 2018-01-20: kegged.
Useless Fact: In the movie “Ocean’s 11,” Brad Pitt’s character is eating something at the beginning of each scene.