Fat Sam NEIPA home brew is named for aforementioned character, Fat Sam, from the movie Fletch. The days that Chevy Chase was putting out great movies was short lived but they were nonetheless awesome. While watching Fletch, Fat Sam kept popping up in the front of my head. George Wendt always poses as a lovable role character in the movies and on television. It was time for Fletch to rightly honored: Fat Sam.
A hopped up American amber ale would probably have been more fitting, especially when one takes into account his quote: “I got some reds.”
Formulating the recipe for Fat Sam NEIPA
Continuing the quest for another NEIPA, I had decided that having high amounts of wheat and oats hadn’t been something that I brewed. I also hadn’t brewed a NEIPA with copious amounts of Mosiac and Citra. It seems that most of the “great” ones use one or the other or both. The Rakau was remnants sitting around from an earlier brew day. Enjoy!
Recipe for Fat Sam Neipa
Brew Date: Thursday, November 09, 2017
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04, not hydrated
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Finishing Gravity: 1.010
Color: 4.1 SRM
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.67%
Alcohol by Volume: 6.83%
Primary Fermentation: 9 days @68*F
10.00 pounds American 2-Row
2.00 pounds Flaked Oats
2.00 pounds Red Wheat
1.00 ounces 2015 Citra @10 minutes
1.00 ounces 2016 Mosiac @10 minutes
2.00 ounces 2015 Rakau whirlpool, 20 minutes
2.00 ounces 2016 Mosiac whirlpool, 20 minutes
2.00 ounces 2015 Citra whirlpool, 20 minutes
2.00 ounces 2015 Rakau dry hop, 4 days
1.50 ounces 2016 Mosiac dry hop, 4 days
2.00 ounces 2015 Citra dry hop, 4 days
1.0 tsp Irish Moss @15 minutes
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient @15 minutes
4.0 quarts of rice hulls
- 2017-11-10: @66.1*F, medium fermentation.
- 2017-11-11 (morning): @69.8*F, hard fermentation.
- 2017-11-12 (evening): @67.1*F, slowing fermentation, added dry hops: 2.0 ounces 2015 Rakau, 1.5 ounces 2016 Mosiac, 2.0 ounces 2015 Citra. Placed on heat @70.0*F.
- 2017-11-17 (evening): Put on temperature control at 37.0*F.
- 2017-11-19: Bottled with 3.50 ounces of priming sugar and 2.0 cups of water. 24, 22 ounce bottles. Bottle crown label: FS.
- 2017-12-03: Drinking great. Might easily be the best NEIPA I have made to date. Need to do a tasting write up.
- 2017-12-03: Tasted Fat Sam.
Useless Fact: Warren Buffet filed his first tax return at age 13 to report income from his paper route, and claimed a $35 deduction for use of his bicycle.