Two regular dudes who happen to be huge fans of American craft beer.
By scot in Home Brewing on Thursday, November 12th, 2015
Lately I have been home brewing every two months, only to refresh the stock of IPA in the house.
I brewed a Sip of Sundshine pseudo clone back in September. In keeping with the focus of trying to improve on my IPA home brewing, I really looked into water profile. I purchased Salifert salt water test kits for alkalinity, magnesium and calcium. According to some correspondence that I had with a fellow home brewers on home brew talk, these test kits are very reliable and accurate. I have familiarity with them from my salt water days (miss it).
I did measurements for alkalinity and calcium. Alkalinity was 305 while calcium was at 140. If the 140 calcium number is correct, I believe that is a ridiculously high number. I am still investigating if those numbers are in the correct rate measurements that is needed for comparisons made by brewing water calculators. Therefore, as you could have guessed, I didn’t make any changes to the local water.
I will eventually figure out water chemistry. Enjoy!
Brew Date: Thursday, November 12, 2015
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Vermont Ale
Yeast Starter: 2 liter
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.50
Original Gravity: 1.052
Color: 3.4 SRM
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
Primary Fermentation: 14 days @68*F
9.00# 2 Row
12.0oz Red Wheat
8.0oz Flaked Oats
8.0oz Honey Malt
1.00 ounce Magnum @60 minutes
1.00 ounce Galaxy @5 minutes
4.00 ounces Galaxy @whirlpool 20 minutes
5.00 ounce Galaxy @2 days dry hop
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient @ 15 minutes
1.0 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 minutes