I wanted to home brew last weekend but it just wasn’t in the cards. I was promised (by the wife) that I could home brew this weekend. Time to get an early start as the humidity is off the charts with all the rain we have had over the past week or two. I feel like I am in Florida in July and/or August.
Summer Rental is an American Pale Ale made with a combination of old and new school hops, while using North East India Pale Ale techniques. The grain bill is quite simple and typical of American Pale Ales: base malt, carapils, and a low Lovibond caramel malt. I decided to mash a slight bit high than normal (was shooting for 152.0*F) as I didn’t want this beer to dry out too much with the Safale S-05 yeast, American ale.
The recipe was devised to use up some older hops, making way for the enormous amount of stockpiled hops. That stockpile is only making me imagination get the best of me: what can be done, how juicy can I make, what other combination of hops can turn out fantastic?
Hops centered beers will continue to be the home brewing style of choice until I get tired of them or I cure my hoarder mentality. Enjoy!
Recipe for Summer Rental American Pale Ale
Brew Date: Saturday, June 23, 2018
Day: 70*F, partly cloudy, ridiculously humid, rising to 80*F
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05, not hydrated
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Finishing Gravity: 1.005
Color: 3.9 SRM
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Conversion Efficiency: 67.75%
Alcohol by Volume: 5.38%
Apparent Attenuation: 89%
Calories per ounce: 12.37
Primary Fermentation: 7 days @68*F
8.00 pounds American 2-Row
1.25 pounds Red Wheat
0.50 pounds Cara-Pils
0.25 pounds Caramel 20L
3.00 ounces 2015 Cascade @10 minutes
1.00 ounces 2015 Equinox @5 minutes
3.00 ounces 2015 Cascade whirlpool, 20 minutes
3.00 ounces 2015 Equinox whirlpool, 20 minutes
3.00 ounces 2015 Cascade dry hop, 6 days
2.00 ounces 2015 Equinox dry hop, 6 days
2.00 ounces 2015 Equinox dry hop, 5 days
1.0 tsp Irish Moss @15 minutes
1.0 tsp Yeast Nutrient @15 minutes
4.0 quarts of rice hulls
- 2018-06-23 evening: @65.1*F, added yeast.
- 2018-06-24 morning: @62.0*F, no visible fermentation.
- 2018-06-24 afternoon: @61.6*F, no visible fermentation, put on heat @68.0*F.
- 2018-06-24 evening: @64.8*F, light fermentation, took off heat.
- 2018-06-24 morning: @65.3*F, medium fermentation, put on heat @68.0*F.
- 2018-06-24 afternoon: @67.6*F, great fermentation, added dry hops.
- 2018-06-25 afternoon: @68.4*F, slowing fermentation, added second round of dry hops: 2 ounces 2015 Equinox.
- 2018-06-29 evening: @66.4*F, no visible fermentation. Cold crash @39*F.
- 2018-07-01: Kegged.
Useless Fact: Squirrels prefer to live in Oak trees but they will live in other trees too.